INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS
The REIV and Building Commission have identified it is the landlords responsibility to maintain smoke alarms in residential rental properties. By law, every house must have smoke alarms fitted in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards AS3786 and every smoke alarm must have its battery replaced and be correctly cleaned and tested at least once a year. In addition, smoke alarms must be replaced every ten years as identified by expiry dates on the unit.
DID YOU KNOW:
- The upkeep of maintaining working smoke alarms is the responsibility of property owner – not the tenant or agent
- Smoke alarms have expiry dates and only last a maximum of 10 years
- Smoke alarms have specified locations to maximise early warning in the event of smoke & fire
- Pushing the test button only tests smoke alarms for power supply and a working siren- it does not test the sensing chamber for correct operation
- 6 out of 10 smoke alarms in rental properties without this service do not operate correctly – if at all
- The BCA states that all smoke alarms must be connected to your buildings power mains as well as having battery back-up, unless your building was built before 1997, where a battery-powered meets the Regulations
To ensure your investment is properly protected we can offer you an annual smoke alarm maintenance service.
For the low, fully tax deductible cost of $99 inc GST per service, Elecmen will:
- Service, clean, replace 9volt batteries & 3 way test alarms to ensure correct operation to all alarms in the property (including smoke and decibel testing)
- Confirm alarms are located in accordance with the Building code
- Replacement of all faulty or expired hardwired or battery operated smoke alarms
- Verify all expiry dates and ensure units are within date
- Provide unlimited call outs to the property for smoke alarm faults in the following 12 months
- Programmed repeat inspections every year taking the hassle and responsibility away from you
Elecmen's fixed service per property charge will give you peace of mind that you are complying with your rental responsibilities as a landlord. Any location of alarms not meeting the building code will be quoted to yourself and your property manager.
Call Elecmen on 1300 353 263 to arrange an inspection.