BEWARE OF OLD ELECTRICAL WIRING IN YOUR HOME

If you’re buying an older home that was built before the 1980s, it’s important that you get the wiring checked by Elecmen before you move in.

Fire brigades respond to more than 300 electrical fires in homes each year and many of these are caused by old wiring that has degraded or can’t cope with the demands of modern electrical equipment, including televisions, air conditioners and computers.

But in addition to the risk of fires, contact with degraded wiring can be fatal.

In 2010, a man died when he touched old split-metal conduit while installing an aerial in his roof space.

Don’t let this happen to you. Old wiring is dangerous and can kill.

If your house was built more than 30 years ago then it’s time to get the wiring checked.



This photo shows old electrical wiring that is covered in old insulation that has been proven and shown here to deteriorate to an unsafe standard.

image

Even the cord on this light fitting is covered in the same unsafe insulation.  Touching even the slightest bit on exposed wiring can be fatal.

image


If you have power points that look like these we recommend that you have Elecmen check them for safety.  It can be a sign that you have old wiring and is potentially unsafe.

image

Contact Elecmen on 1300 353 263 to arrange an electrical inspection if you have any concerns about your electrical wiring.  Or visit www.elecmen.com.au


August 2nd 2016